Animal Control

Animal Control

The Township of Zorra is taking steps to support our community's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) and measures taken by Southwestern Public Health. We are monitoring our operations daily to ensure we are taking the right actions to protect our residents, employees and visitors. Visit our COVID-19 page for regular updates.

photo of officer with dog

Animal Control Services (effective January 1, 2022)


The Humane Society of Kitchener Waterloo and Stratford Perth is contracted to provide the following services for the Township of Zorra:

  • Animal By-Law Services (excluding barking dogs)
  • Animal Control Services
    • Stray dogs/dogs at large
    • Sick/injured domestic animals
    • Sick/injured wildlife
  • After Hours Emergency Service – sick/injured dogs
  • Animal Sheltering Services
  • Dog bite reports
  • Dead domestic animal reports

For stray cats/stray small animals: The Stratford Perth Humane Society will accept stray cats and small animals as space and resources allow.  Residents must call the humane society in advance at 519-273-6600. Residents would be responsible for transporting the cat/small animal to the humane society and may have to be placed on a waiting list if space is not immediately available.


If you are interested in adopting a pet, visit The Humane Society of Kitchener Waterloo and Stratford Perth website and view adoptable animals at the Stratford Perth Humane Society, and sister centre, the Kitchener Waterloo Humane Society.


The Ontario Government provides animal protection services in Ontario. To report abandonment, cruelty or neglect, please call the Provincial Animal Welfare Services (PAWS) 24/7 hotline at 1-833-9ANIMAL (926-4625) or visit their website for more information.

Dog Tags and Kennel Licences

Dog Tags

Dog tags are important to help identify your dog should it become lost or injured. Dog tags are no longer issued by the Township, but it is still a requirement of pet owners to ensure that all dogs have identification to allow them to be safely returned in the event they wander off your property. Personalized dog tags can be purchased at most pet stores.

If you find a lost or injured dog, contact the number on the tag to make arrangements for the dog's safe return. If you find a lost or injured dog after regular business hours, please contact animal control.

For reference, the Township's Animal Care and Control By-law is available on the By-law section of our website.

Kennel Licenses

Kennel Licenses are only issued at the municipal office. Kennel operators must show proof of membership with the Canadian Kennel Club and property must be properly zoned for a kennel. Kennel licenses cost $100.00 per year and an annual site visit is required. Please contact the office to discuss regulations for kennel licenses at 519-485-2490.

Helping Lost Pets

Have you lost a pet or found a stray dog or cat?  Spread the word using a web service called Helping Lost Pets!  Visit the Helping Lost Pets website today.