The Township of Zorra is taking steps to support our community's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) and measures taken by Southwestern Public Health. We are monitoring our operations daily to ensure we are taking the right actions to protect our residents, employees and visitors. Visit our COVID-19 page for regular updates.


A land severance is the authorized separation of a piece of land to form two new adjoining properties.  This is commonly known as a consent.  It is required if you want to sell, mortgage, charge or enter into any agreement for (at least 21 years) a portion of your land.  If the two parts are split already, by a road or railway for example, consent is not needed.  The Oxford County Land Division Committee is the body responsible administering land severances for Zorra Township and all of Oxford County.  For further information contact the Secretary Treasurer of the Land Division Committee at 519-539-9800.   

Visit the County of Oxford website to download a Consent Application Form.

The Oxford County Official Plan has specific policies and requirements for land severance.  In addition to the division of land, rights-of-way, easements and any change to your existing property boundaries also require land severance approval.   Official approval is required to ensure that:

  • land severances are considered within an established Township's Zoning By-law and the Oxford County Official Plan
  • new lots and new land uses do not conflict with the overall future planning goals and policies of your community
  • consideration is given to the effects of the division of land on the site, on the neighbours and on the community as a whole   

Once a severance has been approved, the new land parcels may be sold or resold without further approval.  The only exception is if the Land Division Committee has specified otherwise at the time of approval.  Before you apply for a land severance, you should consult with the County of Oxford Office of Community and Strategic Planning.  Staff will be able to tell you how to apply, what supporting material you must submit (e.g. sketches, plans), if there are any special land severance requirements set out in the official plan and what other permits and approvals (e.g. a septic tank permit) may be required.   

For any inquiry regarding a consent application, please contact our Township Planner at 519-485-2490 ext 7237.